Cape Town City were halted in their attempts for a rare win in the DStv Premiership as they drew 1-1 with Golden Arrows at the Cape Town Stadium on Sunday.

Darwin Gonzalez found the back of the net in the 38th minute but Nduduzo Sibiya secured a point for his side with his goal a minute into the second half.

The result left the Citizens in sixth place on the league standings with 35 points and Arrows in 10th with 32 points.  

It was an entertaining encounter with City probably the more disappointed for only claiming a point from an ever-improving Arrows under Steve Komphela.

Eric Tinkler’s side had started the game the more adventurous of the two with some close possession, and remained a constant threat throughout, with Arrows largely looking to attack on the counter.

The Citizens began to probe their opponents and Thamsanqa Mkhize showed a good turn of pace and some measure of skill to beat his man and cross for Khanyisa Mayo, who was ultimately thwarted by a strong challenge from John Mwengani.

Jaedin Rhodes was looking lively on the right flank for City and did well to keep hold of the ball under pressure before feeding Luyolo Slatsha, but he was beaten to the ball by Brandon Theron.

Arrows created their first opportunity in front of goal on 13 minutes, with Gladwin Shitolo agonisingly close with a stooping header that he put wide at the back post from a Siyanda Mthanti cross from the right-hand side.

City continued to attack though and Gonzalez curled a 20th minute shot over the Arrows goal after a neatly-worked short corner.

Kutumela was then on target a minute later with a header that wasn’t powerful enough to beat Arows’ returning stopper Ismail Watenga, from another short corner. 

Rhodes was unable to create space for a clear shot after some dazzling approach play, but Luphumlo Sifumba worked his magic to find time for a cross with 38 minutes played, to expertly pick out Gonzalez at the back post, who headed home past a stranded Watenga.

City headed down the tunnel for the half-time break with a deserved lead, but were pegged back almost immediately as Sibiya levelled with 47 minutes on the clock.

Some great interplay from Kagiso Malinga and Siyanda Mthanti saw the former get into the box and deliver a super first-time ball for Sibiya to pounce on and fire into the roof of the net from close range.

The response from City was positive though and they continued to play their attacking football in search of an equaliser.

They created chance after chance from the side areas, with Kutumela feeding Mayo with a good ball into the box, only for the striker to miss the ball under pressure.

Mayo was then fed in well as Marc Van Heerden combined with Gonazalez, but the attacker’s cross was just out of reach for Kutumela

Gonzalez hit the side netting on the half volley as he drove into the big box before Arrows made a raft of changes as they looked to up their game and potentially find a late goal. City remained a threat but the away team were seemingly not wanting to settling for a draw.

Arrows substitute Thabani Zuke was well placed to thwart a City attack down the right flank before a quick Arrows breakaway saw fellow substitute Lungelo Nguse fire high and wide of the target.

A late header from City substitute Jo Pacencia was well saved by Watengsa as the game ultimately ended a goal apiece.