Mamelodi Sundowns manager Miguel Cardoso has confirmed that Khuliso Mudau suffered a suspected Achilles injury during Wednesday’s 2-0 victory over Marumo Gallants, describing the setback as a major blow for both club and country.
Mudau was carried from the field shortly before half-time after going down without apparent contact. He was replaced by Zuko Mdunyelwa as Sundowns secured their first win since drawing with Kaizer Chiefs at the weekend.
Cardoso admitted the injury had overshadowed an encouraging performance from his side.
“I think after 25 minutes we played very, very well because the start was very good,” he told SuperSport.
“We lost a bit of a cushion in the team, but it’s normal when you look at a lot of these teams. Some still need to develop to manage moments.”
READ: Thapelo Maseko reveals his emotions after leaving Mamelodi Sundowns for Copenhagen
The Portuguese coach was more concerned when asked about Mudau, who has become an established member of the Bafana Bafana squad.
“I think Mudau has a very serious injury,” Cardoso said. “For a player of his calibre and quality, it’s a big loss for South Africa and for us especially.”
Cardoso confirmed that the problem appeared to be an Achilles injury, although further assessment will be required.
“Yeah, we believe so unfortunately, very serious injury,” he said. “It was not from a tackle. Unfortunately, it happens. There are accidents in F1, incidents in football.”
The Sundowns coach also revealed that Teboho Mokoena remains unavailable after being injured earlier in the season, further stretching the champions’ squad.
“But this is absolutely no occasion. It happens. It’s a big loss. Let’s hope the others rise to the challenge ahead,” Cardoso added.
Sundowns now face a nervous wait for confirmation of the full extent of Mudau’s injury.