Mamelodi Sundowns will play in the final of the Nedbank Cup against Orlando Pirates after beating Stellenbosch 2-1 in their semi-final clash on Sunday.

Khuliso Mudau opened the scoring at the Danie Craven Stadium on just 11 minutes.

It took until the 74th minute for the Brazilians to extend their lead, through second-half substitute Thembinkosi Lorch.

Peter Shalulile then missed an 80th minute penalty, and Genino Palace ensured a tense finish to the tie when he slotted home just a minute later.

Sundowns had started the stronger of the two sides with Shalulile in with an early chance that was blocked by Stellies goalkeeper Masuluke Oscarine.

But it didn’t take long for the DStv Premiership champions to open the lead, with a fine finish from Mudau after he was played in by Lucas Ribeiro Costa.

There was a lengthy stoppage in play as assistant referee Zakhele Siwela was treated and then replaced with an injury.

Play then resumed with in-form Stellies attacker Iqraam Rayners firing home following a 40 minute free-kick only to see his goal disallowed for offsides.

Some superb interplay on the edge of the Stellies box almost saw the Brazilians extend their lead before the break, but Tashreeq Matthews was crowded out after a neat give-and-go with Mudua.

Lorch was introduced for Matthews at the start of the second half, and he and Shalulile both made inroads to the Stellies goal but without any end product.

Rayners was also lively and dragged a powerful shot wide of the target after being well marshalled by the Sundowns defence.

But the unbeaten side were always good for a goal and were further in command of the tie when Lorch stole in with 74 minutes played, leaving the Stellies stopper with no chance.

The tie then appeared to be getting away from the Cape-based club as Sundowns won a penalty with ten minutes of the match remaining, but Shalulile contrived to blast his kick over the bar.

Palace though was superbly played in just a minute later by Antonio Van Wyk, and he made no mistake in front of goal, to ensure a tense final few minutes for the Brazilians.

But Sundowns ultimately held on for the win despite the late pressure to set up a well-deserved final with rivals Pirates.