International News - Issue 258



Man United Scoop Dutch Sensation Depay

Manchester United have started their summer recruitment with the £25m signing of Dutch winger Memphis Depay from PSV Eindhoven. Depay has just enjoyed the best season of his career, winning the Dutch title with Phillip Cocu’s side and attracting more attention from big foreign clubs for his signature that any Dutch side could feasibly resist. Liverpool and Paris Saint-Germain were both interested in Depay but he has decided instead to team up with Louis van Gaal, the man who took him to last year’s World Cup in Brazil. The signing of Depay marks the start of a crucial summer for Van Gaal, who is keen to build on the foundations of a solid, if mixed, first season in charge at Old Trafford. There will certainly be upgrades in other positions before the transfer window closes – it does not even open for another three weeks. United are confident of signing Nathaniel Clyne from Southampton, ahead of Chelsea, and Clyne’s future is likely to be settled next week. United also believe they can prise Mats Hummels away from Borussia Dortmund, after a tumultuous season at the German club. For now, there is Depay, one of the most gifted young wingers in Europe. He is quick, direct, enjoys beating players and cutting in to unleash a powerful right foot. He has impressed ever since he emerged at PSV and was given his debut by Cocu at the age of 18 early in 2012. Depay performed sufficiently well at PSV that he was part of Van Gaal’s talented young squad at last year’s World Cup. Depay revealed he almost joined PSG, until a telephonic conversation with  van Gaal convinced him otherwise. “I was really close to a transfer to Paris Saint-Germain, I know Manchester United were always interested but not concrete. In the last moment, they called my manager and of course I spoke with the trainer Louis van Gaal,” said Depay. “It was a difficult situation, let me say that, but after I spoke with Louis van Gaal I said to myself ‘I want to go to Manchester’. I’m really proud and I believe that I can be a big player for Manchester and give the people there everything I have.”The Dutch star played his final home match for already-crowned Eredivisie champions PSV on Sunday, scoring a superb free-kick from range – something which he hopes to continue at Old Trafford, if given the chance. "I train every day on free-kicks. The Manchester United fans can expect something from me in that area. If I get the chance to take free-kicks then I will shoot."

Tottenham Hotspur striker Emmanuel Adebayor has revealed how his family has been abusing his generosity since he became a top footballer. The Togolese forward, who has often been painted as a controversial figure since rising to prominence with Arsenal in the Premier League, has taken to Facebook to explain how complicated personal issues have affected his career. The 31-year-old has become one of the wealthiest African footballers in Europe since moving to Manchester City and Spurs, and the 2008 African Footballer of the Year now reveals how it has all come at a great cost. A post from his verified Facebook account warns other African families to learn from what has happened to him. Adebayor reveals: "A couple years ago, I bought a house in East Lagon (Ghana) for $1.2 million. I found it normal to let my older sister, Yabo Adebayor stay in that house. I also allowed my half brother (Daniel) to stay in the same house. A few months later, I was on vacation and decided to go to that house. At my surprise, I saw many cars in the driveway. In fact, my sister decided to rent out the house without me knowing. She also kicked Daniel out of that house. Note that the house had about 15 rooms. When I called her and asked for explanation, she took about 30 minutes to abuse and insult me over the phone. I called my mother to explain the situation and she did the same as my sister. This same sister says I am ungrateful. Ask her about the car she is driving or anything she is selling today? My brother Kola Adebayor, has now been in Germany for 25 years. He travelled back home about 4 times, at my expense. I fully cover the cost of his children's education. When I was in Monaco, he came to me and asked for money to start a business. Only God knows how much I gave him. Where is that business today? When our brother Peter passed away, I sent Kola a great amount of money so he could fly back home. He never showed up at the burial. And today that same brother (Kola) is telling people that I am involved in Peter's death. How? He is the same brother who went and told inaccurate stories about our family to 'The Sun' in order to take some money. They also sent a letter to my club when I was in Madrid so I could get fired. When I was in Monaco I thought it would be good to have a family of footballers. So I made sure my brother Rotimi gets into a football academy in France. Within a few months; out of 27 players, he stole 21 phones. I would not say any anything about my brother Peter Adebayor because he is not here today. May his soul rest in peace."

Nigerian billionaire Aliko Dangote says he is still keen on buying Premier League club Arsenal, despite his offer being rejected five years ago. The 58-year-old, who is the richest man in Africa, had made an offer to buy the Gunners in 2010 but was denied, yet insists he will take over the club in future. "I still hope, one day at the right price, that I'll buy the team," Dangote told Bloomberg Business. "I might buy it, not at a ridiculous price but a price that the owners won't want to resist. I know my strategy." The wealthy business, who made his fortune in various ventures including cement manufacturing, sugar supply and oil investments, has not revealed exactly when he aims to make another offer. “We have $16bn-worth [€14bn] of investments in the next few years,” he said. “Right now I want to take my own business to a certain level. Once I finish on that trajectory, then maybe an offer will follow.” It is reported that Dangote’s current worth of approximately €13.5 billion is more than that of current Arsenal majority shareholders Stan Kroenke and Uzbek Billionaire Alisher Usmanov, yet the duo are not keen on selling anytime soon.

Chelsea star Cesc Fabregas has heaped praise on Blues boss Jose Mourinho, saying he is a cut above any other manager he has worked with. “He just loves winning,” Fabregas said. “I'm not just saying other managers I have played under don't, but he has some edge that goes above anyone else I have ever been with. The mentality shows every single training session, or game. I now understand why he has won what he has won in his career.” The 28-year-old went on to describe the Portuguese coach’s style as “a touch of magic”, lauding his man-management capabilities. "Yes, Mourinho has a touch of magic, 100 percent,” he said. “He knows how to manage a team, he knows how to get the best out of you, and that's what you want from a manager, 100 percent."

The Spanish La Liga title race, where Barcelona currently lead Real Madrid by four points, is set to be suspended from 16 May over issues with the government and TV rights. A statement from the Spanish Football Federation was released, stressing their displeasure at only receiving 4.55% of pools revenue, though the statement said that the federation are still open for negotiation. All Spanish domestic games are set to be suspended from 16 May, which also includes the Copa del Rey final, where Barcelona are set to face Athletic Bilbao on 30 May. In the same statement made by the federation, they say that this act comes after three months of talks, and the government failing to resolve the dispute - as well as it being said that more than 600,000 players and 30,000 matches will be affected by the suspension. On 17 May, Barcelona were scheduled to face Atletico Madrid away, as they looked to secure another important three points, and Real Madrid were set to face Espanyol away, however, with the suspension in line, those fixtures will be put on hold. The Catalan club lead Los Blancos by two points at the top of La Liga, with just three more games to go.

Orlando City midfielder Ricardo Kaka says he is excited for Steven Gerrard to join him in America, but has warned the Englishman of the league’s competitive nature. The former AC Milan and Real Madrid star, who has scored four goals in 13 appearances since joining MLS side Orlando City this year, says he was always fond of watching the current Liverpool captain, and looks forward to coming up against him when he joins club opponents LA Galaxy in July. "I have good memories of Gerrard. He was one of the players I loved to watch. I like the way that he plays and the way that he moves on the field. I'm so happy he's coming to play here. It's going to help the league a lot.” However, the 2007 Ballon d’Or winner says the Reds stalwart must not thing he will be coming to the USA to relax. I'm not sure I'm in a position to give him some advice for the league, but it's very competitive, so he will need to be ready to be competitive with his new team,” he said. Kaka feels that being a big-name star in the MLS is a big motivation, rather than feeling under constant pressure. It's a great experience to play in America in this league with this team and this project. I'm so happy here. Being the superstar of the league is not a pressure, it's a big motivation."

Rotimi Adebayor, the brother of Tottenham Hotspur striker Emmanuel Adebayor, has begged for forgiveness after accusations made by the Togolese international against his family. Adebayor took to Facebook last week to reveal how his family has been abusing his generosity during his career as a professional footballer, while picking out younger brother Rotimi for his actions after securing his stay in a French football academy. “So I made sure my brother Rotimi gets into a football academy in France. Within a few months; out of 27 players, he stole 21 phones,” Adebayor wrote. The 2008 African Footballer of the Year on Sunday posted another message from his Facebook account which is solely aimed at his younger brother, accusing him of stealing amongst other things, a necklace and football shirts. “In 2002, I went to play the AFCON in Mali and I had the huge privilege to swap my shirt with Marc-Vivien Foe. May his soul rest in peace. When I got back to Togo, I put that shirt in a secure place. My brother found a way to steal that shirt and sold it.” Adebayor's brother has since responded, begging the former Arsenal and Manchester City frontman for forgiveness. "I'm so sorry for everything that I've done wrong... I want to beg, forgive me," Rotimi Adebayor told the BBC. “I want him [Emmanuel] to try and be with us again. To sit like a family, do things together. I pray to God that moment is coming soon. People are laughing at us, but they will see us and they will cry... God's time is the best, I wish my brother good luck." Adebayor has promised to post another message regarding the actions of his father, Kola Adebayor. “The part 3 is coming out soon and it will be about the man that calls himself the father of the family, Kola Adebayor A.K.A Lion of Judah,” he concluded.

Manchester City talisman Yaya Toure is set to leave the English club at the end of the season. The Ivory Coast skipper has not been at his brilliant best in the Premier League this season following a stellar display last year, scoring eight goals and assisting just one in 26 matches as the Citizens relinquished their League title to London rivals Chelsea. Signs of unrest and intense media speculation of possible move away from the club have been growing in recent months, and Toure’s agent Dimitri Seluk has now admitted his client could very well leave the Etihad this season. “It's 90% certain he'll leave Manchester City this summer,” Seluk told Sky Sports News. “Nothing has been decided - we are waiting until the end of the season." The 2015 Afcon winner still has two years left on his contract, having joined in 2010 from Barcelona as he helped the English club win two Premier League titles and the FA Cup. Former Manchester City boss Robert Mancini has publicly announced his intention to bring the Ivorian to Inter Milan, while Ligue 1 giants Paris Saint-Germain have also been linked.

Barcelona forward Neymar says he will be forever grateful for a recent gesture shown by strike-partner Lionel Messi, lauding the Argentine’s generosity. In their 7-0 humbling of Cordoba last weekend, Barca were awarded a late spot-kick, yet designated penalty-taker Messi, who was on a hat-trick and was looking to catch up to rival Cristiano Ronaldo for the La Liga Golden Boot, allowed his Brazilian teammate to take the kick, having been unlucky in front of goal throughout the match. "That gesture from Messi, the penalty, I will never forget," Neymar said. "He could have scored a hat trick, but he let me score. He is the best in the world, and I really appreciate it. Every day I learn from Messi and from my teammates. I learn from gestures like this." Neymar also netted the Blaugrana’s third, assisted by Messi, in their 3-0 Champions League victory over Bayern Munich on Wednesday.

Liverpool’s attacking woes will continue into next season after star striker Daniel Sturridge was ruled out until at least September. The England international has made just seven starts in an injury-plagued Premier League season, and went under the knife yet again last Tuesday, this time undergoing hip surgery in America. Reds boss Brendan Rodgers confirmed that the forward will now commence his rehabilitation programme, and will only be expected back on the pitch in four months’ time. "We anticipate Daniel will be back hopefully to train around about September time,” the Liverpool coach told reporters. It's a period of time out, but we're hopeful the problems and issues he's had have been resolved with the operation. Now he can recover and hopefully get back as quick as he possibly can. We're anticipating it's going to be around September before he can actually start training and then it's about getting his fitness up." After a stellar 2013/14 campaign in which he scored 22 goals in 29 matches, last season’s runners-up have dearly missed the 25-year-old in attack, with just three goals scored amongst fellow strikers Mario Balotelli and Rickie Lambert as midfielder Raheem Sterling was moved upfront, having scored seven league goals thus far.

Paris Saint-Germain striker Edinson Cavani has vented his frustration over the position in which he is deployed at the Ligue 1 giants, and hinted he could leave. The Uruguayan, who joined from Serie A side Napoli two years ago, has always played second-fiddle to star frontman Zlatan Ibrahimovic, and has thus played the majority of games from the wing. The 28-year-old admits he is frustrated by being denied a central role in attack, where he feels he would be more effective. "When I arrived at PSG, I was forced to play on the wing,” he told GQ. “People don't understand how much that has influenced my performances. I would score a lot more if I was played as a striker. I want to play as a striker. I would without a doubt do much better in my own position." The forward however still has an impressive goal tally in France, netting 50 goals in 91 appearances, yet even with two years left on his contract, Cavani is unsure whether or not he will see out his contract at the Parc des Princes. "I don't know whether I will stay at PSG. I might stay, I might leave... You never know what will happen in football," he said. Manchester United and Italian giants Juventus are believed to be interested in the forward.

Christian Benteke and Nigel Pearson have been named the Premier League's player and manager of the month respectively for April. Aston Villa striker Benteke was recognised for scoring five goals in four league matches in the relevant period, helping to ease his side's relegation fears. Benteke, who has attracted attention from Chelsea with 11 goals in his last nine outings, netted against Manchester United and Tottenham to go with a hat-trick at QPR's expense. Pearson, meanwhile, steered Leicester City to four straight victories prior to a loss to Jose Mourinho's Blues. The Foxes are now three points above the drop zone having previously looked destined to go down.

Former Mamelodi Sundowns striker Nyasha Mushekwi's marriage is hanging in the balance. This, allegedly because of the punani and dick selfies he exchanged with floozies and the threesome he wanted with them, while allegedly forsaking his sick child. The startling tidbits were revealed by the footballer's wife Luminatisa Dumba Chenai Mushekwi in an interview with Sunday World. She was reacting to the allegations that the footie left her because he suspected she was unfaithful. "People must stop blabbering their mouths on things they don't know anything about," she said in anger. "If they said I cheated on my husband, I'd like them to say with whom, where and what time. Why are they not talking about the pictures of his dick he sent to women or those of vaginas in his phone, or the threesome he wanted to have with those sluts? People are talking rubbish." Luminatisa also alleged the Zimbabwean-born player forsook his sick flesh and blood. "He removed the child from the medical aid. The medical bills are piling up because the child is sick with a chronic disease. He is not playing his role as a father anymore. I have a two-year-old infant admitted to hospital as we speak. He needs my undivided attention to nurse him back to health," she said. "People with no lives are busy creating disgusting lies about me when my child and I are going through this difficult and painful time. Where is their sense of humanity?" Luminatisa revealed she filed for divorce at the South Gauteng High Court. "If he was eager to leave me for cheating on him, he would have signed those papers," she said. "But he didn't." She refused to comment on whether reconciliation was on the cards.