International News - Issue 175




Roberto Mancini has been confirmed as the new manager of Turkish side Galatasaray on a three-year deal. The Premier League-winning boss was sacked from Manchester City last May following defeat to Wigan in the FA Cup final. But the Italian is now back in a managerial role having been appointed by the reigning Turkish champions, where he will link up with former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba and ex-Arsenal man Emmanuel Eboue. - Full Story via Metro.co.uk

Shinji Kagawa has vowed to improve his form after confessing that he is fighting to rescue his Manchester United career. Kagawa has found himself down the pecking order at Old Trafford following the arrival of David Moyes in the summer. And despite picking up key minutes in recent matches, Moyes has questioned the attacking midfielder’s form and Kagawa admits he must do better. - Full Story via Metro.co.uk

Borussia Dortmund are working on a move to re-sign Shinji Kagawa from Manchester United after making him their top January target. Kagawa only left Dortmund to join United last year after helping the German side to back-to-back Bundesliga titles. But despite a promising start to his Old Trafford career, the Japanese attacking midfielder has found himself out-of-favour under David Moyes, and is now considering his options.

Chelsea striker Fernando Torres has suffered a medial collateral ligament injury to his left knee and will be out of action for approximately three weeks, the Premier League club have confirmed. The 29-year-old had a scan at Chelsea’s Cobham training base after limping out of Tuesday night’s Champions League group game at Steaua Bucharest and the extent of the damage has now been revealed.

Emmanuel Adebayor has rejoined the Tottenham first-team at the club’s training ground after two weeks of being exiled with the reserves.  The Togo international wrote on Twitter: “Hey guys, today was my first day back training with the first team. Good to be back and feeling good! Have a great day everyone!”  - Full Story via Metro.co.uk

Manchester United boss David Moyes has conceded that his team has very little chance of success in the UEFA Champions League this season. “To win the Champions League you have to have five or six world-class players,” he said. “If you look at Bayern Munich, they have five or six really world-class players and, to win it, you might have to have that in your squad. Look at Barcelona, who had it in the past, and Real Madrid have maybe got it now. That's the level you have to get at to win it. We've not got that yet.” - Full Story via KickOff.com 

David Moyes has received a welcome boost from the Manchester United hierarchy after being told he will have £60million to spend in the January transfer window. United, who have made their worst start to a season in 24 years under Moyes, performed badly in the summer transfer window, with Marouane Fellaini their only notable signing. But the concerned Glazer family, who own United, are keen to put that right and have reportedly told Moyes he will have significant spending power during the next window. - Full Story via Metro.co.uk

The controversial statue of the ‘King of Pop’ Michael Jackson, which stood outside English Premier League club Fulham, has been taken down. New club owner Shad Khan ordered that the tribute be removed from outside Craven Cottage in west London.  “Our supporters’ views on the statue have been made clear,” Khan said. “The removal of the statue is the right thing for Fulham Football Club.” - Full Story via KickOff.com 

A man has been taken to hospital after a restaurant packed with Arsenal fans was allegedly attacked by rival Napoli supporters before Tuesday night’s Champions League clash. Piebury Corner near the Emirates stadium in north London was forced to close after clashes broke out – reportedly resulting in smashed windows and broken chairs. Eyewitness Emily Gould, who works at the eatery, said around 50 customers were inside the premises, on Holloway Road, when a 30-strong mob of rival supporters stormed the building prior to kick-off. She said: “I think they were Italian men with Napoli colours and scarves tied around their faces. They were shouting something in Italian, chanting and causing trouble down the street. Then they came in to the shop. I was terrified. They started swinging belts around. The customers were very frightened.” Ms Gould said many of those already inside Piebury Corner ducked for cover as the rival fans entered. She said one man had to be taken to hospital with what she believed was a deep gash to his head after he was struck by a swinging belt buckle. “There is blood all over the floor,” the employee said. “We have been told by police we cannot clear up yet because of the investigation.”

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich tried to lure Sir Alex Ferguson from Manchester United to Stamford Bridge, the Scot has revealed. Ferguson, who left United at the end of last season after 26 years in the Old Trafford hot seat, says the Russian wanted him to take charge of the Blues when he bought the west London side in 2003. The 71-year-old had just guided United to their eighth League title when Abramovich made his move. Ferguson said: “They used an agent to approach me when Abramovich first took over the club, and I said, “No chance”. Ferguson has also revealed that he believes current Red Devils manager David Moyes is the right man for the job and that he has no intention of making a managerial comeback.

The transfer window may well be shut until January but that has not stopped Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers bringing back former Reds Robbie Fowler, Steve McManaman and Rob Jones to the club. However, the trio will not be rolling back the years by pulling on the red shirt again but coaching the club’s Under-21 and Under-18 teams at the Kirkby academy. Rodgers, who has seen his side start the Premier League season excellently, was delighted to have managed to have persuaded Fowler, McManaman and Jones – part of the 1990s ‘spice boys’ team – to pass on their knowledge of the game to the club’s youngsters. “It’s great to have Robbie, Steve and Rob on board,” Rodgers said. “I wanted to get more former players involved and over the off-season I spoke to a number of them about a possible role here. For me it’s so important to have players like that around. These are players who the young guys look up to. Fowler was a fans’ favourite during two spells at Anfield and scored 183 goals in 369 appearances, while midfielder McManaman also was popular on the terraces during a nine-year career with the club. Full-back Jones made 243 appearances between 1991-1999 and will offer defensive coaching in his role. Since taking over from Kenny Dalglish in the summer of 2012, the 40-year-old Rodgers has immersed himself in the club’s history and says he will continue to do so in the future.

Chelsea striker Samuel Eto'o has been called up to the Cameroon squad despite reports last month claiming the 32-year-old had retired from international football. Indomitable Lions coach Volker Finke has included Eto'o in his 25-man unit to face Tunisia in a World Cup qualifying play-off over two legs, on October 11 and November 15 respectively. Eto'o, a record four-time African Player of the Year, reportedly declared his desire to quit the national team after a World Cup qualifier against Libya on September 8. - Full Story via KickOff.com

Cameroon squad

Goalkeepers:
Idriss Carlos Kameni (Malaga, Spain)
Charles Itandje (Konyaspor, Turkey)
Sammy Ndjock (Fethiyespor, Turkey)

Defenders: 
Allan Nyom (Grenada, Spain)
Aurelien Chedjou (Galatasaray, Turkey)
Dany Nounkeu (Galatasaray, Turkey)
Nicolas Nkoulou (Marseille, France)
Gaetan Bong (Olympiakos, Greece)
Jean-Armel Kana-Biyik (Rennes, France)
Henri Bedimo (Lyon, France).

Midfielders:
Stephane Mbia (Queens Park Rangers, England)
Eyong Enoh (Ajax Amsterdam, Netherlands)
Jean II Makoun (Rennes, France)
Joel Matip (Schalke 04, Germany)
Raoul Cedric Loe (Osasuna, Spain)
Landry Nguemo (Bordeaux, France)
Alex Song (Barcelona, Spain)
Edgar Salli (Lens, France)

Forwards:
Samuel Eto'o (Chelsea, England)
Achille Webo (Fenerbahce, Turkey)
Aboubakar Oumarou (Waasland-Beveren, Belgium)
Eric-Maxim Choupo Moting (Mainz, Germany)
Jacques Zoua (Hamburg, Germany)
Benjamin Moukandjo (Nancy, France)
Fabrice Olinga (Malaga, Spain)

Standby:
Jean-Marie Dongou (Barcelona, Spain)
Roland Ndy Assembe (Guingamp, France)
Frank Bagnack (Barcelona, Spain)
Vincent Aboubakar (Lorient, France)
Mohamadou Idrissou (Kaiserslautern, Germany).

Senegal coach Alain Giresse has named his squad to face Ivory Coast in the first leg of the World Cup qualifying knockout on October 12 in Abidjan, with Chelsea’s striker Demba Ba missing once more. The Frenchman refused to answer questions as to why Ba was dropped while announcing the roster on Tuesday in Dakar. However, local editorialists suggest the former Newcastle forward fell into disfavour with the coach after fluffing a penalty kick against Angola in June. - Full Story via Supersport.com

Senegal Squad

Goalkeepers:
Bouna Coundoul (Ethnikos)
Cheikh N’Diaye (Rennes)
Issa N’Diaye (Creteil, France)

Defenders:
Lamine Gassama (Lorient)
Papy Djilobodji (Nantes)
Issa Cissokho (Nantes)
Lamine Sane (Bordeaux)
Cheikh Kouyate (Anderlecht)
Kara Mbodj (Genk)
Cheikh M’Bengue (Rennes)
Pape N’Diaye Souare (Lille)

Midfielders:
Mohamed Diame (West Ham)
Idrissa Gana Gueye (Lille)
Salif Sane (Hanovre)
St├ęphane Badji (SK Bramm)
Alfred N’Diaye (Eskishirspor)

Forwards: 
Sadio Mane (Red Bulls Salzburg)
Moussa Sow (Fenerbahce)
Dame Ndoye (Lokomotiv Moscou)
Modou Sougou (Evian)
Ibrahima Balde (Kuban Krasnodar)
Henri Saivet (Bordeaux)
Papiss Cisse (Newcastle).